Purchasing manager will negotiate with vendors for the purchase of all materials, supplies, equipment and services used by the company. Manages all purchasing activities and establishes strategic purchasing processes and procedures. Maintains relationship with vendors or suppliers and negotiates contracts for major purchases. Manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs.
- Negotiates with vendors for goods and services, negotiating the best possible price and service guarantee.
- Develops new supply sources where vendors are inadequate.
- Assists in developing purchasing plans and programs to implement corporate policies and objectives.
- Drives purchasing objectives and ensures understanding of approved objectives by subordinates.
- Checks requisitions for appropriate approval and account numbers.
- Works closely with receiving department to ensure proper supplies are delivered.
- Traces delinquent arrivals from purchase orders.
- Follows environmental and safety regulations and acts in compliance with U.S. laws.
- Complies with safety and corporate guidelines on business ethics.
- Visibility of all new product developments relative to materials and supplier base.
- Provides support to Purchasing staff in all conflicts or questions regarding prices, deliveries, quality, and specifications.
- Develops and manages an ongoing training process for all Purchasing personnel.
- Supports a work environment conducive to high efficiency and high employee morale.
- Promotes and encourages Purchasing personnel to evaluate new materials and new suppliers as required.
- Maintains awareness of new supply chain technology and processes.
- Provides leadership regarding supplier visits.
- Assists with supplier negotiations.
- Assesses current material availability; reasonably predicts future availability based on the market, delivery systems, and other variables.
- Interacts cross-functionally with other departments to improve processes and efficiencies.
Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with proven negotiation skills.
- Excellent professional interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail in fast pace work environments.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills with the ability to effectively train others.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate without compromising quality of work or deadlines.
- Understanding of business and management principles.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite including but not limited to Outlook, Excel, and Word.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- 3-5 years progressive experience in purchasing and or construction (Required)
- Associates degree in related field (Preferred)
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to, stand, sit; talk, hear, use hands, wrists and fingers for extended periods of time to operate a computer and telephone keyboard.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements due to computer work.
- May require full range of motion parameters such as climbing stairs, walking, squatting, kneeling, and driving.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds in all directions.
- Must be able to access all areas of the facility to determine needs.
- May require some limited travel.
- Regular, predictable attendance is required.
Please send a cover letter and/or resume to email@example.com. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.